Distracted Driving on the Rise
Consumer Reports findings are not looking good:
This is what people told us they saw in the previous 30 days:
- 91 percent saw a driver talking on a handheld phone.
- 62 percent saw a driver texting.
- 22 percent saw a driver using hands to operate a smart-phone app.
We also asked drivers to reveal their own behaviors behind the wheel in the past 30 days:
- 43 percent had a conversation on a handheld phone.
- 33 percent of smart-phone owners used their hands to operate an app.
- 18 percent of smart-phone owners accessed e-mail or social media.
- 14 percent texted.
via Consumer Reports